More of Edmund’s schools open in Cappaquin (1813), Limerick (1816), Thurles (1816), Mill Street, Dublin (1816), Francis St, Dublin (1820) and Preston, England (1825). By 1825, thirty brothers were teaching 5,500 boys in 12 towns or cities.
In 1817, Edmund applies to Rome to establish his congregation as an Apostolic Institute. Pope Pius VII grants this request in 1820. On 20 January 1822, in Mt Sion, the brothers accept the brief and elect Edmund as the first leader of the Congregation of Christian Brothers.
The way was now clear for the spread of Christian Brothers’ education throughout the globe.
For a list of Christian Brothers’ schools and ministries worldwide, both past and present, please click on the following link: